Saturday, August 30, 2008

HAPPY LABOR DAY

Since it is close, and I usualy am late for Holidays, I thought I would wish you all a Happy Labor Day. This year Labor Day falls on my granddaughter's birthday. Happy Birthday Alyssia!!!

This past week has had it's ups and downs. It started off really good with a First annual Homeowners BBQ. It was all done by One family and it was sooooooooo good. First they did all the usual appetizers and then the food came. OMG, what a spread. She had fixed everything from brisket to chicken and all the in-be-tweens...Everyone had a great time. The weather even behaved...it was a great time.

the rest of the week went by and I don't remember what we did...pretty boring, I guess. Anyway, I've been having a problem with my back, could be from all the coughing from the smoke, but it is just really hurting. So, Skipper decided that I needed to "shake it up a bit" meaning, we were taking the ATVs out for a "quick" ride. Well, we went out back, that is behind our complex, where there is nothing but hills and sagebrush. We went over a water crossing and started out toward the ridge. I felt ok, it was warm, but my back was handling it so-so. We kept riding toward the ridge and then, when we got to the beginning...it started getting rather steep. Kinda scary...actually, it got really scary...I'm not a "seasoned" ATV rider, I just do it for fun....except today. Today, I did it to stay alive. I rode up a rocky hill, kinda scary. Then, the ol' coyote came and gave me some pointers on how to do this....safely.... OK, so we start riding up toward the ridge and the ATV started slipping. I can do this....so I gave it a little more power and up on the ridge we came. Now...I'm up on the ridge and scared to death to go down. It was so steep, I told coyote he could drive my ATV down and I would walk (or fall on my face. But at least I wouldn't have so far to fall and I wouldn't roll over the cliff.) Well, needless to say we had another discussion. "I will guide you down." OMG...I decided right there and then that I was a woose...I still elected to walk down and he could drive my ATV down for me. He asked me if I would drive him back up to get his....hummmmm, this wasn't going well. After a deeeeeep breath, my back wasn't hurting anymore, I was too afraid I was going to die. We climed back on our respective ATVs and he went in front...Looking straight down is not something I would recommend, but to drive straight down I had to look. I put my machine in 4 wheel drive, in low and kept my hand on the brake for emergencies. the whole trip down the mountain was an emergency....I started sliding in the rocks. I squeezed that brake so tight and it wouldn't stop the machine, I knew I was going to die.....I am just too bloody old to be so scared!!!!

Needless to say, I made it!!!! I don't think I'm anymore "seasoned"...just very happy to be alive. Did I say that right...VERY HAPPY TO BE ALIVE!!! The ol coyote said he could hear a faint "Help...Help....heeeeelp" as we were going down thru the rocks to get off the mountain. I was trying to be brave, it didn't work very well, but at least I'm alive...Once we got home and everything put away, he was sweet, he said he was proud of me, I didn't woose out...I did it (whew).

After We got home, I made a great dinner to celebrate that I was still alive. The coyote was very happy I made it because he got to eat another meal....all that being said, and done, I am closing now....oh, by the way, did I say my back is now hurting more than ever?????


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate it when dad puts us in scary situations! I feel for you, Lynne. That would have been too much for me to handle. I just dont know how you did it. Now I know...if we ever make it up to Wyoming again I will NEVER let him take me ATVing...EVER!

TJ said...

chiropractor lady!!! go find one!! back pain can be really bad!

Heidi said...

I went private with my blog, but I didn't have your email. If you want an invitation you can reach me at neeleysrus*at*yahoo*dot*com. I sure don't want to lose you! :)